My research interests are related to the investigation of dynamics using nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. Past work includes the study of molecular rotation in crystalline solids, chain dynamics in amorphous polymers, and rate studies of exchanging spin systems. Current interests include reaction kinetics of anionic polymerizations and structural determinations of reaction intermediates in organocuprate addition reactions.
B.S.: University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1979
Ph.D.: University of Pennsylvania, 1987
Post-doc.: University of Pennsylvania, 1987-1989
Principles of Chemistry (CHEM 1251/1252) Survey of Physical Chemistry (CHEM 2141) Analytical Chemistry Laboratory (CHEM 3111) Survey of Instrumental Methods Laboratory (CHEM 3113) Physical Chemistry Laboratory (CHEM 3141/3142) Instrumental Analysis Laboratory (CHEM 4111)
- “Minimization of Organocuprate Complexity through Self-Organization: Remarkable Orientation Effect in Mixed Cuprate pi-Complexes”, Steven H. Bertz, Richard A. Hardin, Michael D. Murphy, Craig A. Ogle, Joshua D. Richter, Andy A. Thomas, Angewandte Chemie, International Edition 51, 2681, 2012
- Rapid Injection NMR Reveals η3 π-Allyl’ Cu(III) Intermediates in Addition Reactions of Organocuprate Reagents”, Steven H. Bertz, Richard A. Hardin, Michael D. Murphy, Craig A. Ogle, Joshua D. Richter, Andy A. Thomas, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 134, 9557, 2012
- Ligand Exchange in Mixed Organocuprate(I) π-Complexes”, Steven H. Bertz, Kelsey L. Browder, Richard A. Hardin, Michael D. Murphy, Craig A. Ogle, Andy A. Thomas, Organometallics, accepted for publication, 2012
- “Complexes of the Gilman reagent with Double Bonds Across the π–σ Spectrum”, Steven H. Bertz, Stephen K. Cope, Richard A. Hardin, Michael D. Murphy, Craig A. Ogle, David Smith, and Andy A. Thomas, Organometallics, accepted for publication, 2012
- “Investigation of η1 and η3 Intermediates in the Conjugate Addition of Organocuprates to Enones and Enals”, Michael D. Murphy, Richard A. Hardin, Andy A. Thomas, Craig A. Ogle, Stephen H. Bertz, 244th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Philadelphia, PA, United States, August 2012.